On June 25, 1935, the people's commissar for internal affairs, Genrikh Yagoda, signed a secret edict, number 00239, to commission the construction of a nickel factory in Norilsk and, for this purpose, ordered the establishment of an associated prison labor camp, Norillag.
Norilsk's first open-pit mine, Coal Creek, was opened in 1940, and at the Minor Metallurgical Plant the first matte – an intermediate in the production of non-ferrous metals – was obtained and in 1942 the first nickel.
Norillag was closed upon an order by the Soviet Union's Ministry of Internal Affairs on August 22, 1956. Approximately 300,000 prisoners had been to the camp. Today the population of Norilsk is about 176,600.
The mines at the Talnakhskoye deposit extend for 12 kilometers, but the total area of development exceeds 450 kilometers, some 150 kilometers longer than the Moscow subway system.
From the local ores, the enterprises of Norilsk Nickel extract nickel, copper, cobalt, gold, silver, platinum, iridium, selenium, palladium, ruthenium, osmium and tellurium. The October mine is the largest in the country and accounts for 40 percent of the total volume of the concern's extracted ore. More than 150 million tons of ore have been extracted at the mine.
The mine's planned work force comprises about 3,000 people and its workable depth exceeds 1,200 meters. Norilsk Nickel's production volume of nickel in the first half of 2015 was more than 130,000 tons, palladium – 1.35 million ounces, and platinum – 339,000 ounces.